- Surface Pro 4 is a great and fast device, especially for graphic designers who want to use resources and draw things on the go.
- To fully use the Surface Pro, you need an internet connection, which you can get for example by connecting to an access point from your iPhone.
- Visit our detailed Windows 10 Center for more helpful troubleshooting articles.
- Check out our in-depth Fix section if you want to read more great guides.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:
This software fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware, hardware failure and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool which comes with patented technologies (patent available here).
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Fix All to fix issues affecting your computer’s security and performance
Restoro was downloaded by 953,019 readers this month.
No matter what device you’re on, whether it’s iPhone or Android, your Surface Pro works with it so you can get the most out of it.
When used together, you can access your photos, music, documents and other favorites, but you can also connect to your mobile phone as an access point via the tethering function.
Both the Surface Pro 4 and iPhone work very well together, but there are times when the Surface Pro 4 won’t connect to your iPhone’s access point, either due to network settings or some other underlying cause.
This article describes how to resolve this connection issue using the solutions below.
How do I fix Surface Pro 4 not connecting to the hotspot?
- Use Speedify
- Check the special characters in the SSID name
- Disable Network Device
- Check the Wi-Fi settings on your Surface
- Check your network on another device
- Check date and time settings
- Check if MAC address filtering is enabled
- Check the signal
- Allow Roaming
1. Use Speedify
Speedify is a VPN service with a solid free plan, which is all about maximizing your speed and performance. Unlike other similar products, the program can maximize your bandwidth by distributing your traffic data over up to 10 different connections.
The software also has a feature called Channel Bonding, which basically allows your internet connections to be merged in any combination, resulting in an even distribution of your traffic.
Speedify has a large number of purchasing plans and options for all prices. It is essentially a very fast VPN, with a simple and interactive interface and which is constantly updated.
2. Check special characters on the SSID name
- Select General.
- Then select About.
- Then select Name.
- Rename your iPhone without using spaces, then enable Personal Hotspot on your Surface Pro and it will connect.
Sometimes, Surface Pro 4 won’t connect to iPhone hotspot due to special characters used in iPhone name, which prevents the device from recognizing characters and so you need to change it.
Note: Numbers are also special characters, so remove spaces and apostrophes, as well as numbers. eg do not write Bob’s iPhone, but write BobsiPhone.
3. Disable Network Device
- Go to the desktop.
- Swipe in from the right and tap Settings.
- Select Control Panel and then select Network and Sharing Center.
- Touch Change adapter settings.
- Select the WiFi adapter and click “Disable this network device”.
- Wait a few seconds and turn it on again. It should now appear.
- Go to Control Panel and then tap Hardware and Sound.
- Then select Devices and Printers.
- Configure iPhone as a wireless network. The password for this is in Personal Hotspot.
Another solution is to disable your network device on your Surface Pro 4. To do this, you have to play around with your adapter settings and turn your other device into a wireless network.
4. Check WiFi settings on your Surface
- Go to Start and select Settings.
- Select Network & Internet.
- Tap Wi-Fi and make sure it’s turned on.
- Then check if Airplane mode is turned off.
- Finally, check if your iPhone’s access point is in the list of available networks, but you can’t connect to it.
Sometimes you just need to check if your Wi-Fi connection is really active. Also, Airplane mode must be turned off for the internet to work because when it is turned on, it will block any moment of data transfer from your phone.
5. Check your network on another device
If your iPhone’s access point shows up in the list of available networks on your Surface Pro 4 but you can’t connect, check if the network is working properly on another device. Also make sure that the device has a working internet connection that can be transferred through the access point.
If it doesn’t work on another device, the problem could be with the network or with the hardware itself, preventing it from connecting properly to the Surface Pro.
6.Check the date and time settings
- Tap Start and select Settings.
- Select Time and language.
- Make sure the information is correct or make any necessary changes.
- Try to connect to your Wi-Fi network.
7. Check to see if MAC address filtering is enabled
- Select the search box on the taskbar, enter cmd and select Symbol of the system.
At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all.
- Tap Enter.
- Find the physical address. This is your Surface’s MAC address.
- Temporarily turn off MAC filtering to see if that’s preventing Surface Pro 4 from connecting to your
- iPhone’s access point.
- Add your Surface’s MAC address to your iPhone’s authorized list.
MAC filtering can cause Surface Pro 4 to not connect to iPhone hotspot issue. If it is enabled, change it by following the steps above.
8. Check the signal
If you have limited or no connection, you may be out of range, so you should check your signal. Select wireless network on the taskbar and check how many bars are on the mobile phone icon.
If you have only one illuminated bar, or none at all, it is likely on the edge or out of reach of your operator. To reconnect, you have to move to get back in range.
Losing your Wi-Fi signal is easy, especially if you’re in another room or far from your router. Wi-fi radio waves have a hard time passing through concrete walls, so keep that in mind.
9. Allow roaming
- Tap Start and select Settings.
- Select Network & Internet.
Then select Mobile and look at the right side of the interface.
3. Select the name of your mobile operator and then select Auto connect.
Select Allow roaming.
If you’re traveling outside of your carrier’s coverage area and want to use an iPhone hotspot connection, make sure roaming is turned on.
Roaming allows you to connect to the Internet even if you are not on your mobile operator’s network.
Some operators charge extra for roaming or have another data plan that includes this. Set Surface to turn on roaming by default when you’re out of range of your mobile operator.
This lists all possible solutions to your problems related to connecting Surface Pro 4 to a mobile hotspot.
Did any of these solutions help you restore your connection? Share with us in the comment section below. Also, leave any other suggestions or questions and we’ll be sure to review them.