- Lenovo BIOS update brings new features and functions, next-gen hardware support and bug fixes.
- To start the BIOS update process on a Lenovo device, you can use an executable file downloaded to your HDD.
- Another easy way to start the BIOS update process is to use the Lenovo System Update application.
- Lenovo Vantage also provides a convenient process for you to upgrade your base I/O system.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool which comes with patented technologies (patent available here).
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Fix All to fix issues affecting your computer’s security and performance
Restoro was downloaded by 953,019 readers this month.
BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is a small piece of code on a chip on the motherboard. The BIOS acts as a bridge between your system hardware and the operating system during the boot process.
Like other laptops, Lenovo laptops are also equipped with a BIOS that allows you to change the order of the boot process and various hardware settings.
Updating your motherboard BIOS can help in many ways. The update can provide new features and functionality, support new CPUs, fix bugs and update a corrupted UEFI environment.
This article explores some ways to easily update BIOS on Lenovo laptops and desktops.
How do I update BIOS on Lenovo laptops and desktops?
1. Update BIOS through Windows executable file
- Open your Internet browser and go to Lenovo Support.
- Enter your product name, serial number, or machine type in the search box, then select your computer model from the drop-down list. Make sure you have chosen the correct system.
- Open the Drivers & Software tab to view a list of available drivers for your system.
- Click the drop-down menu labeled Operating System and select your operating system.
- Click the Components drop-down menu and select BIOS/UEFI from the list. A list of BIOS files that can be downloaded is displayed.
- Click the Download button next to the latest update and download the BIOS to your computer.
- Right click on the downloaded BIOS file and select Run as administrator.
- When the self-extracting windows appear, click the Install button.
- Click the Flash BIOS button. Make sure you are connected to a reliable power source.
- Click the OK button and the BIOS updater will run automatically.
Note: When the BIOS is successfully updated, the system will reboot automatically.
Updating the Lenovo BIOS with Windows 10 using an executable file is easy.
However, sometimes this method may fail. You can see alternative ways to update the BIOS in the next set of steps.
2. Update BIOS using Lenovo System Update
Note: Be sure to perform a Windows update and install any pending updates before performing System Update on a Lenovo system.
- Launch your web browser and go to the Lenovo support page.
- Enter your product name or serial number and select your system from the drop-down list.
- Click the Drivers & Software tab in the left pane. This will display the list of available updates for your system.
- Scroll down and look for System Update.
- Click the down arrow icon to download System Update.
- Run the system update installer and follow the installation instructions until the update is completely installed.
- After the installation process is complete, you can safely delete the update file from your system.
3. Update BIOS through Lenovo Vantage
- Launch the Lenovo Vantage application on your system. If you have not installed the application, download it from the Lenovo website here.
- In the Device option, click on the System Update option. If you don’t see the option, change the menu button and select System Update.
- Click the Check for Updates button to view the pending updates available for your system.
- Once the scan is complete, scroll down and look for the BIOS update.
- Press the Install Selected Updates button.
- Click OK to restart your computer and install the update.
- Lenovo Vantage will download the update and start the installation process.
- Select the BIOS update option in the Flash Update utility.
- When you are done, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Click Restart and follow the on-screen instructions.
Lenovo Vantage is a useful tool. In addition to allowing you to download and install a system update, the app will help you get the most out of your device.
You can also optimize battery, fast charge, always charge via USB and check your system status using the app.
Is it safe to Update BIOS?
There are some risks associated with updating the BIOS and require the user to take extra precautions when updating the BIOS.
System manufacturers provide special tools for updating the system BIOS. Make sure to use the recommended tool to update your BIOS.
In most cases, you may not need to update your BIOS regularly. However, if some system functions stop working, you can use the methods mentioned in this article to update your BIOS.
There you have it: three ways to update the BIOS on your Lenovo laptop and desktop.
Whether you want to update Lenovo BIOS for Linux or Windows, it’s important to get it right. Make sure to follow the steps in this article carefully to update your Lenovo BIOS for laptops and desktops.