- Minecraft is a sandbox video game that is still very popular among gamers of all ages.
- Many users reported Minecraft black screen issues that prevented them from launching the game.
- If you are passionate about this game, read more about it on our Minecraft page.
- Our Windows 10 Hub welcomes you with the most diverse and expert articles about the operating system.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool which comes with patented technologies (patent available here).
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Fix All to fix issues affecting your computer’s security and performance
Restoro was downloaded by 970,092 readers this month.
One of the most popular games of recent years was Minecraft, but many users reported problems with Minecraft black screen that prevented them from launching the game.
This can be a big problem for gamers, so today we’ll show you how to fix it.
There are many issues that can occur with Minecraft, and speaking of issues, here are some common issues that users have reported:
- Minecraft launcher black screen Windows 10 –Sometimes problems with Minecraft can be due to your antivirus or drivers. To resolve the issue, we recommend temporarily disabling your antivirus and making sure your graphics card drivers are up to date.
- Minecraft Windows 10 edition black screen – Problems with the Windows 10 edition of Minecraft can occur due to your graphics card settings, so make sure to disable the 3D display mode and the stereoscopic 3D feature.
- Minecraft black screen on startup, after launch, crash – These are some common problems that can occur with Minecraft, but you should be able to fix most of them with one of our solutions.
How do I fix Minecraft black screen issues on Windows 10?
- Check your antivirus
- Reinstall your graphics card drivers
- Try using a different file archiving software
- Disable the 3D display mode function
- Disable SLI mode
- To disable the stereoscopic 3D function
- Play the game in compatibility mode
- Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Del
- Play the game with integrated GPU
1. Check your antivirus
If you can’t launch Minecraft, the first thing to check is your antivirus software.
Many third-party antivirus programs tend to interfere with certain applications, and sometimes your antivirus program can prevent you from running Minecraft and other games.
If you get a black screen while trying to run Minecraft, check if your antivirus is blocking Minecraft. You can also add Minecraft to the exclusion list in your antivirus and check if that helps.
If Minecraft is not blocked, try disabling certain antivirus features or your antivirus program altogether. Sometimes this may not be enough, so your best option would be to uninstall the third-party antivirus.
After removing the antivirus, try running Minecraft again.
If removing the antivirus solves the problem, consider switching to a different antivirus.
If you are a gamer and want to make sure that your antivirus program is not interfering with your gaming sessions, you can try Bitdefender.
2. Reinstall your graphics card drivers
- Open Device Manager by pressing Windows Key + X and select Device Manager from the list.
2. Locate your graphics card driver, right click and select Uninstall device.
3. If available, check Uninstall the driver software for this device Now click Uninstall.
4. After the driver is uninstalled, click the Scan for hardware changes icon.
You can of course use the Device Manager or you can even search for the driver by visiting your graphics card manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your model.
However, the easiest way to update your driver is to use a third-party utility such as DriverFix, which will go through the whole process automatically.
You just need to download and install DriverFix and then open it. You don’t have to click anything as the software will automatically perform a driver scan on your PC.
After a while, there is only one step left to decide whether to install the drivers individually or all together.
The first option requires you to check the boxes to the left of the drivers and then click the update boxes to the right of it. For the second, click the Select All box.
3. Try using WinZip as an archiver software
If you are using a Java version of Minecraft, the black screen may be caused by your file archiving software.
To run the Java version of the game, your PC must be able to extract the Java files, and if it doesn’t, you may need to switch to other file archiving software.
According to users, they reported that the problem was solved after switching to WinZip software, so you should definitely give it a try.
The procedure is as simple as right clicking on the Java files and selecting the extract option.
After you solve the Minecraft problem, you still have a great compression tool that also connects to Dropbox or Google Drive.
4. Disable the 3D Display Mode feature
- Open the Settings app. The fastest way to do this is to use the Windows Key + I keyboard shortcut.
- When the Settings app opens, navigate to the System section.
3. In the right pane, scroll down and select Advanced display settings.
4. Find the 3D display mode option and uncheck it.
Note: Keep in mind that not all PCs support this feature, so if it is not available on your PC, you should try another solution.
5. Disable the SLI mode
According to users, you may experience Minecraft black screen problems if you use two graphics cards in SLI mode. In case you don’t know, some users tend to use two graphics cards to play games to get better performance.
While this feature can be helpful, sometimes it can lead to various issues like this one. To fix the issue, users suggest to disable the SLI feature and the Minecraft issues should be resolved.
6. Disable the Stereoscopic 3D feature
If you have problems with the black screen of Minecraft on your PC, the problem could be the stereoscopic 3D feature.
Some graphics cards support this feature and if you have it enabled, you may experience problems running certain games.
To fix the problem, it is recommended that you check your graphics card’s control panel software such as Nvidia Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center and disable this feature.
Once you have found and disabled the stereoscopic 3D feature on your PC, restart Minecraft and check if the problem persists.
7. Run the game in compatibility mode
- Locate the Minecraft.exe file, right-click it and choose Properties from the menu.
2. Navigate to the Compatibility tab and check Run this program in compatibility mode for the option.
3. Select the desired version of Windows and click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Note: Keep in mind that you may have to experiment with different settings until you find the one that works for you.
It is also worth noting that this solution will not work for the UWP version of Minecraft, so if you downloaded your copy from the Microsoft Store, this solution will not work for you.
8. Use the Ctrl + Alt + Del shortcut
- Start the game normally.
- When the black screen appears, press the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys.
- Click Cancel to return to Windows.
The black screen should disappear and you can play the game again without any problems. Keep in mind that this is only a temporary solution so if this solution works for you then you should repeat it every time this issue occurs.
9. Run the game with integrated GPU
If your PC or laptop has integrated and dedicated graphics, the problem may occur if you use the dedicated graphics to run Minecraft.
Dedicated graphics almost always offer better performance, but can sometimes cause problems with games.
If you are having problems with the black screen of Minecraft on your PC, maybe you should try running the game with the integrated graphics. To do that, right-click on the shortcut and choose the Run with graphics processor option.
If this method works, you may want to change your graphics card settings and set your built-in graphics card as the default GPU for Minecraft.
Keep in mind that your integrated graphics card will not provide the same performance as your dedicated one, so use this solution as a workaround.
Minecraft black screen issues can be quite troublesome, but in most cases these issues are caused by your settings or drivers and we hope you were able to fix them with one of our solutions.
If you have any additions or suggestions, please leave them in the comments section below.