- Win configuration files for Windows 10 usually take up a lot of storage space on your hard drive and most of the time you don’t need them.
- Unless you have compelling reasons to keep them, deleting the files is also a good option and we’ll show you the exact steps to take.
- You can learn how to fix system errors like a pro, if they occur, with our guides in the Troubleshooting section.
- For more detailed guides and articles, please refer to our dedicated system section.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend DriverFix:
This software keeps your drivers working and protects you from common computer errors and hardware failures. Check all your drivers now in 3 easy steps:
- Download DriverFix (verified download file).
- Click Start Scan to find all problem drivers.
- Click Update Driver Software to get new versions to avoid system crashes.
DriverFix was downloaded by 539,401 readers this month.
You may have noticed that after upgrading to Windows 10, you can find a Windows.old folder in the drive folder.
Many users have reported that the files take up too much disk space and this can become inconvenient over time.
Yes, you can, and this guide will give you its benefits, as well as step-by-step information on how to do it.
There are a few reasons why it’s a good idea to have old Win configuration files:
- You can restore the operating system in case something goes wrong during the update.
- If you are not happy with the new system, you can simply go back to the old one.
In the event that none of the above reasons seem like enough to keep the old configuration folder, you can just as easily delete it.
There are a few simple steps you can take to perform this action efficiently, and we’ll give you more details in this article.
How can I delete Win setup files in Windows 10?
1. Give CCleaner a try
To efficiently remove unwanted files from your device, you can delete them manually or use a special tool.
After testing the available software, we recommend that you give CCleaner a try.
This amazing tool has won prestigious awards and is very fast so you can clean your device in just a few minutes.
It comes with advanced features that free up space on your PC, clear your online tracks, including browsing history and cache to speed up your system.
It also removes any unnecessary or corrupt files from your device that are taking up space on your hard drive.
Your confidentiality could not be better protected with this tool as it will erase your entire browsing history leaving it intact.
However, it is always a good idea to have an antivirus program installed on your device just to make sure there are no leaks to your data.
The patented registry cleaner removes useless entries while also allowing you to run a full health check of your PC.
2. Delete the Win setup from the Settings
- Press the Win key + I to open the Settings window.
- Then select the System option.
- Switch to the Storage option in the left sidebar.
- Go to Local Storage and click This PC (C:).
- Under Storage usage, choose Temporary files.
- Go to Delete temporary files and click Previous version of Windows.
- Click the Delete Files button and wait for it to finish.
3. Use Command Prompt
- Type cmd in the search bar.
- Right click on the command prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Type the following command and press enter:
RD / S / Q % SystemDrive % windows.old
Make sure to keep your device open and wait for the command to complete.
This command should delete the entire Win installation file without leaving any trace of its existence.
With this last step, we conclude our list of steps to perform.
As you can see, deleting the Win installer file can be done quite easily once you’ve decided there’s no point in keeping it.
You can use a special tool and just wait for the process to finish on its own while taking advantage of the software’s great extra features.
Or you can delete the files manually through Settings or just by entering the above command at the command prompt.
Whatever you choose, it works fine.
Please let us know if any of these troubleshooting steps have resolved your issue. You can message us through the comment section below.