- Adding your own unique icon designs to the desktop is a great way to customize Windows 10.
- This article provides guidelines for designing your own desktop icons with Paint 3D.
- Our Graphics & Design section contains a wealth of graphic design software tutorials.
- Look no further than our How-To Center for many more Windows 10 software guides.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend DriverFix:
This software keeps your drivers working and protects you from common computer errors and hardware failures. Check all your drivers now in 3 easy steps:
- Download DriverFix (verified download file).
- Click Start Scan to find all problem drivers.
- Click Update Driver Software to get new versions to avoid system crashes.
DriverFix was downloaded by 546,310 readers this month.
Windows 10 displays shortcuts on your desktop with icons, which are an important aspect of platform themes.
If you’re looking to give Windows a little makeover, customizing your desktop icons is a good way to go. You can create your own custom icons for desktop shortcuts.
All you need to set your own icons is an artistic (or graphic) design application.
Windows 10 includes the Paint and Paint 3D design apps. You can set new icons with any software. However, Paint 3D is the best featured package as it allows users to add 3D shapes and stickers to their icons.
How to make a custom icon in Windows 10?
1. Create an icon with Paint 3D
Set up the canvas
- First click on the Start button.
- Click Paint 3D in the software index of the Start menu.
- Click New in Paint 3D
4. Select Canvas to open the options below.
5. Ingrese 32 en los cuadros Ancho y Alto para cambiar el tamaño del lienzo a 32 x 32.
6. Gire la rueda del mouse para acercar y expandir el lienzo.
7. Activate the Transparent canvas option.
Design the icon
- You can draw an image on your icon canvas by selecting Brushes. You need to select Marker or Pixel Pen with a weight of 1 px.
2. Select the 2D Shapes tab to add two-dimensional lines and shapes. From there, select a line, curve, or shape option.
3. The Paint 3D 3D Shapes tab provides several options for adding 3D shapes and models to your icon. Click 3D Shapes to open that tab.
4. Select a 3D object or model option from the sidebar. Then hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor to the right to expand the selected shape to fit inside the icon window.
5. Click on the shape on the canvas to open the rotation options, as in the shot directly below.
Customize your icon with stickers
- Paint 3D also includes a relatively small collection of stickers that you can use for icons. Click the Stickers tab.
2. Select a sticker for the icon.
3. Click outside the icon canvas area on the left side of the window to add the selected sticker.
4. Left click in the top right corner of the sticker and drag the mouse to the left to resize the image to fit the canvas.
5. Select the image and hold down the mouse button to drag it onto the canvas.
6. Press the Create 3D button to apply a 3D effect. You can rotate the sticker in the same way as 3D shapes.
7. You can click Custom Stickers > Add Stickers to select the downloaded clip art for your icons.
Customize your icon with 3D objects
- Paint 3D also has a collection of 3D graphics that you can add to your icons. Click on the 3D library to explore the different image categories.
- Click on an image to add it to your canvas.
- You will likely need to significantly resize the selected image to fit on your icon canvas. To zoom out on an image, click the top right corner, hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor to the left.
Save the icon design as an image
- When you’re done designing the icon, click Menu > Save As > Image.
- If you have added a 3D model to your icon, a preview of the image will open as in the snapshot directly below. Select PNG from the Save as type menu.
- Press the Save button.
- Select a folder to save the PNG image.
- Select 2D – PNG as file format.
- Enter a title for the image and click the Save option.
2. How do I convert a JPEG to an icon in Windows 10?
- You can convert PNG, JPEG and JPG files to icons on the Online-Convert website. So open the online image conversion page of that website in a browser.
- Click Choose Files to select the PNG icon you set in Paint 3D.
- Press the Start Conversion button.
- Then click the Download button.
3. How to add new icons to the desktop
- You can now add your new icon to the Windows 10 desktop. To do this, right-click on a shortcut icon already on the desktop and select Properties.
- In the window that opens, select the Customize tab.
3. Press the Change Icon button.
4. Click the Browse button in the Change Icon window.
5. Then select your ICO file from the folder you downloaded it to.
6. Click the Open button.
7. Click OK in the Change Icon window.
8. Finally, select the Apply option.
9. Click OK to exit the window.
10. Now your custom icon will have replaced the original on the desktop. The heart icon in the snapshot below was a set using Paint 3D.
So this is how you can set your own custom icons using Paint 3D.
You can also design your own icon sets with numerous icon maker programs.
Our icon maker guide provides details on the best icon maker software for Windows 10.