- After the upgrade to Windows 10, the gamer community faced issues with gamepads.
- However, no matter what operating system you are using, the steps below will surely help you recover your gamepad.
- Take a look at our Gaming Hub and keep up to date with everything related to this industry.
- If you’re using an Xbox console and you’re having issues, check out our Xbox Troubleshooting page for a safe solution.
To fix various PC issues, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:
This software fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware, hardware failure and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool which comes with patented technologies (patent available here).
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Fix All to fix issues affecting your computer’s security and performance
Restoro was downloaded by 941,638 readers this month.
Gamepads are indispensable tools for gamers. They may have different names (game controller, joypad, gamepad), but they have only one function: to connect the player to a game console system.
A gamepad consists of several buttons and up to two joysticks for controlling objects in video games.
While portable game systems come with a built-in gamepad, some gamepads are designed to be connected to a computer via a USB connection.
This has been a major concern for users who have upgraded to Windows 10 as Microsoft’s latest operating system doesn’t seem to recognize existing gamepads for some users.
Most tech-savvy users believe that the problem is caused by Microsoft replacing the original hardware drivers in the Windows 10 installation.
Others say the problem is due to the hardware driver not being digitally signed. Still, many encountered the problem after switching to Windows 10 while the gamepad was connected to the computer.
In other words, the error could have been avoided if the peripheral had been disconnected during the update.
Here are some common issues that users have reported:
- USB gamepad not recognized on Windows 10, 8, 7 –Since the problem can occur in any version of Windows, you can try one of our solutions as they are all compatible with older versions of the operating system.
- Gamepad not detected on Windows 10 – The problem is most likely a driver, so update your gamepad drivers and see if that helps.
- Xbox gamepad not recognized –Windows 10 supports Xbox controllers. We’ve already covered Xbox controller issues in Windows 10 in one of our previous articles, so be sure to read it to learn more.
- Gamepad not working in PC games – Your controller is probably not configured correctly. The problem could also be your gamepad controller so keep them up to date.
- Gamepad not in Device Manager –If your system does not recognize the gamepad, you should search for unknown devices in the Device Manager and update your drivers.
So in this article, we will try to provide the best solutions.
What can I do if the gamepad isn’t recognized on my PC?
1. Download the latest gamepad driver
- Download the latest driver and right click on the installation file to find Properties.
2. On the Compatibility tab, click Run this program in compatibility mode and choose the operating system before your Windows 10 update from the drop-down menu.
3. Complete the installation process and restart your computer once it’s done.
Update drivers automatically (third-party tool suggested)
Manually downloading and installing drivers is a process that carries the risk of installing the wrong driver, which can lead to serious malfunctions.
We strongly recommend that you update your driver automatically with DriverFix.
The installation process is simple. After launching DriverFix, all you need to do is hit the Scan button and let the tool scan for old and obsolete components.
Depending on the brand and specifications of your device, you will receive a list with all options for updating one or more components. DriverFix uses a huge database of reliable driver software, so you can be sure to get only the best recommendations.
2. Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to the Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Now in the right pane, select Hardware and Devices and click the Run Troubleshooter button.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooter.
After the troubleshooter finishes, check if the problem is resolved.
3. Unplug other devices
Windows sometimes cannot detect your gamepad due to overload of devices connected to your computer. Try unplugging other plug and play devices and see if the problem persists.
If you are using a USB hub, make sure to disconnect your gamepad from the USB hub and connect it directly to your PC.
In some rare cases, other devices connected to your hub may be interfering with your controller and causing the problem.
Finally, you can also try plugging your controller into a different USB port. Your controller cannot use the full bandwidth of the USB 3.0 port, so connect it to your PC’s USB 2.0 port.
4. Prevent the computer from automatically turning off plugged devices
- Open Device Manager and expand USB Serial Bus controllers.
- Right click on the main USB hub and select Properties/Power Options and uncheck all the
- boxes that say Let the computer turn off this device to save power.
5. Disable your gamepad
- Open Device Manager and locate your gamepad.
- Right-click and select Disable from the menu.
3. A confirmation window will now appear. Select Yes to disable.
4. Now wait for a while, right-click on the disabled gamepad again and choose Enable from the menu.
Once the gamepad is enabled, Windows will recognize it and attempt to install the necessary drivers for it.
6. Change your power plan settings
- Press Windows key + S and enter the power settings. Select Sleep & Power Settings from the menu.
2. Now click on Additional power settings.
3. Locate the power plan you selected and click Change plan settings.
4. Now click on Change advanced power settings.
5. Navigate to USB Settings / USB Selective Pause Settings. Set it to Disabled and click Apply and OK to save the changes.
After doing that, the problem with your gamepad should be resolved.
7. Install generic USB hub drivers
- Open Device Manager and locate the USB root hub device. You should have some of these devices on your PC.
- Right click on the USB Root Hub device and select Update driver.
3. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
4. Now click Let me pick from a list of drivers available on my computer.
5. Select USB Root Hub from the list and click Next.
6. Now repeat steps 2 to 5 for all USB root hub drivers.
In addition, you can also download the necessary drivers from your motherboard manufacturer and check if they solve your problem.
Again, if you decide to install the drivers, we recommend using DriverFix to do the job for you.
8. Reinstall your gamepad
- Open Device Manager and find your gamepad in the list. Right click and choose Uninstall device.
2. When the confirmation dialog appears, click Uninstall.
After the driver is uninstalled, restart your PC. After you restart your PC, Windows will install the missing drivers and should fix the problem.
9. Check if your controller is working properly
If your controller is not recognized, it may not work. Sometimes your USB cable can break and that can lead to this problem.
To check if your controller is working properly, we recommend that you connect it to another PC and see if it works.
If so, the problem is probably related to your system. On the other hand, if the other PC cannot recognize the driver, then the problem is most likely the driver itself.
If possible, test the driver on a PC with Windows 8 or 7. If the driver works on those systems, it means that the manufacturer has not released a driver that is compatible with Windows 10.
That was it for this article. However, we covered a similar issue in another article some time ago and you may want to check it out too.
All in all, we hope you solved the problem with one of our solutions.
If you have any suggestions regarding this matter, please share them with us in the comments.