- Many keyboards have Fn keys that can be pressed to activate secondary multimedia functions for the keys.
- This guide tells you how to enable Fn lock, configure the behavior of the Fn key, and disable it on a Windows 10 PC.
- Learn more about the function key by browsing our comprehensive webpage on this topic.
- See our System Settings page to navigate troubleshooting and guide articles more specific to Windows 10.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend DriverFix:
This software keeps your drivers working and protects you from common computer errors and hardware failures. Check all your drivers now in 3 easy steps:
- Download DriverFix (verified download file).
- Click Start Scan to find all problem drivers.
- Click Update Driver Software to get new versions to avoid system crashes.
DriverFix was downloaded by 538,710 readers this month.
Many keyboards contain function keys. That key is usually located at the bottom left of keyboards between the Ctrl and Windows keys.
The function key allows users to activate secondary functions for the F1-F12 drive keys and others with colored symbols on them.
How can I utilize the Function key on a Windows 10 PC?
1. How do I enable Function lock on Windows 10?
Take a closer look at the Fn key on your keyboard, which is usually located at the bottom left of your keyboard. If you can’t really see it, your keyboard may not have one. However, most keyboards have Fn keys to activate secondary key functions, such as volume controls on the arrow keys.
When you find Fn, hold that key. Then press one of the F1-F12 keys with a colored symbol to activate the function. For example, pressing the Fn key and an F8 key with a mute icon will mute the sound.
You can also activate secondary multimedia functions for other keys with blue or green symbols. So try pressing Fn simultaneously with any key with a blue or green function symbol.
2. How do I lock and unlock the Function key?
Some keyboards allow users to lock the Fn key so that they do not always have to press Fn to activate secondary key functions. So you may be able to press an Fn lock key on your keyboard. Look for a keyboard key with an Fn lock icon.
Esc is an Fn lock key on many keyboards. If you see an Fn lock on your Esc key, press and hold the Fn key. Then press Esc while holding the Fn key. After that, you no longer need to press the Fn key to activate the secondary key functions. To unlock Fn, hold down the Fn key and the Esc key again.
3. How do I turn off (disable) Function lock on Windows 10?
- To disable the Fn key on Windows 10 PC, click on the Type here to search button on the taskbar.
- Then enter advanced startup in the search box.
- Click Changed Advanced Boot Options to open the window below.
4. Click the Restart Now button for an advanced startup
5. When your desktop or laptop computer reboots into the blue Advanced Boot Options menu, select Troubleshoot and Advanced Options.
6. Then select UEFI firmware settings and reboot to enter BIOS settings.
7. After that, look for an Action Key Mode setting in System Settings or other tabs.
8.Disable the Action Key Mode setting.
Note: Users with older laptops and Windows platforms should enter the BIOS by pressing one of the F1-F12 keys during system boot. Consult your PC manual or manufacturer’s website to find out what the BIOS key is for your PC.
4. How can I change the Function key’s behavior?
- To configure the functionality of the Fn key, enter your PC’s BIOS settings as described above to disable Fn.
2.Select the Advanced tab in the BIOS.
3. There, select the Function key behavior option.
4. Select the multimedia key or the function key according to your preference.
Note: Dell laptop users can adjust the same settings from the Windows Mobility Center.
So this is how you can use the Fn key, change its behavior and disable it if you want. In general, Fn is an important key that provides users with many useful keyboard shortcuts.