- Keeping your Windows system up to date is a priority because it keeps your computer safe.
- If the Windows Update Service registry is missing or damaged, you will not be able to update your operating system.
- If you are experiencing issues with automatic updates, please refer to the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Our Windows 10 Hub is the most comprehensive part of our website, with lots of useful information.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool which comes with patented technologies (patent available here).
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Fix All to fix issues affecting your computer’s security and performance
Restoro was downloaded by 964,401 readers this month.
Windows Update should be an essential aspect for all users of the Windows operating system.
If the system is not updated in time, you may face all kinds of issues like security issues, performance issues, etc.
Most computers get their updates automatically, but sometimes, even though the update service is set to automatic mode, the system is unable to install the available updates.
If this happens, try running the Windows Update troubleshooter first. Go to Settings, then Update & Security and click Troubleshoot to launch the troubleshooter.
If this does not solve the problem, you can use one of the methods described below.
How can I fix the Windows Update Service registration problem?
- Disable antivirus software
- Check Windows Update Related Services
- Run Windows update commands
- Run an SFC scan
- Turn Windows Firewall off and on again
1. Disable the antivirus software
You can also try temporarily disabling your antivirus software. Sometimes your antivirus program can prevent your computer from installing the latest updates.
As a result, simply disabling your antivirus can help you solve this problem. If not, you should completely uninstall your antivirus.
We say completely because when using the usual removal technique, many programs leave behind some leftover files. Over time, that accumulation of files can lead to system slowdowns and other problems.
Therefore, we recommend using specialized software such as IObit Uninstaller to uninstall your antivirus or any other program.
It is extremely easy to use and once you run it you will be amazed at how much free space you get back after surgery.
When you’re done uninstalling the old antivirus and running the operating system updates, don’t leave your PC unprotected, so we recommend switching to a more secure and discreet antivirus like VIPRE Antivirus Plus.
Not only does this security solution not affect your system or the update process, but it is also lightweight on your PC.
VIPRE Antivirus Plus comes with a feature called RapidScan that helps speed up the scanning process. When you start a regular scheduled scan, it skips files that were found safe in previous scans.
This security solution also has cloud-enabled security and threat protection. It also offers protection against ransomware, keeping you safe from such attacks.
2. Check Windows Update Related Services
1. Press the Windows key + R shortcut.
2. Type services.msc and press Enter.
3. Locate the Windows Update Service, the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and the
4. Right click on each of the services and select Properties.
5. In the Startup type field, select Automatic from the list.
6. Click Start under the service status.
7. Click OK.
Make sure to follow the steps above for the three services mentioned.
3. Run Windows Update Commands
1. Locate the command and click Run as administrator to open the command prompt.
2. Copy and paste the following commands one by one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
just stop msiserver
ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 catroot2.old
just start wauser
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
just start msiserver
3. Wait for the process to complete and then close the Command Prompt. Restart your computer and check if the problem persists.
4. Run an SFC scan
1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator as shown in the previous solution.
2. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter
3. Wait for the process to complete and then check if you can install the updates.
5. Turn off and on the Windows Firewall
1. Open Control Panel
2. Click Windows Firewall.
3. Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off (in the left pane).
4. Check the button next to Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) and then click the OK button.
5. After the Windows Update error is resolved, don’t forget to re-enable Windows Firewall by following the same steps.
We hope that one of the methods mentioned above helped you solve the problem. If you find any other solutions to fix this problem, let us know in the comments below.