- Payday 2 fans have been complaining about frequent crashes or black screens in Windows 10.
- The good news is that anyone who uses one of our solutions can fix Payday 2 issues.
- Take a look at our Gaming Hub and keep up to date with everything related to this industry.
- If you’re having issues with your Xbox console, check out our Xbox troubleshooting page for a safe solution
To fix various PC issues, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:
This software fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware, hardware failure and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool which comes with patented technologies (patent available here).
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Fix All to fix issues affecting your computer’s security and performance
Restoro was downloaded by 947,329 readers this month.
Payday 2 is a first person shooter game, but unlike many other shooter games, this game puts you in the shoes of a bank robber.
While the gameplay sounds fun, Payday 2 has some issues in Windows 10. That is, it often crashes or displays a black screen and sometimes won’t even start.
So let’s fix these issues without further delay.
How do I fix Payday 2 problems on Windows 10?
- Payday 2 failures
- Update your drivers
- Disable Steam Overlay
- Run Payday 2 in Compatibility Mode
- Move the render_settings file
- Disable mods
- Enable Use HQ Weapons option
- Payday 2 doesn’t start
- Check the game cache
- Change resolution
- Remove IPHLPAPI.dll
- Payday 2 black screen
- Run Payday 2 in window mode
- Reinstall the game
Payday 2 crashes
1. Update your drivers
If your graphics card drivers are outdated, you may experience Payday 2 crashes or low fps. That’s why it’s critical that you keep your graphics card drivers up to date.
Users have reported that the game ran smoothly after downloading and installing the latest drivers.
We also strongly recommend that DriverFix automatically downloads all outdated drivers on your PC. This tool will guide you through the whole process and make sure you get the correct drivers.
Once you’ve installed DriverFix, you can also run a regular system scan to make sure the essential components on your PC are in good working order.
DriverFix will not only recommend the correct driver options, but also all the options available from a huge database.
2. Turn off Steam Overlay
- Launch Steam.
- Open Settings and click the In-game tab.
3. Find the Enable Steam Community option in the game and disable it. Doing so will disable Steam Overlay for all your games.
4. Click OK to save the changes.
If you just want to disable Steam Overlay for a specific game, in our case Payday 2, follow these steps:
- Open your Steam library and right click on Payday 2.
- Choose Properties from the menu.
- Go to the General tab and uncheck Enable Steam Community in the game.
3. Run Payday 2 in Compatibility Mode
- Locate the Payday 2 shortcut or go to the game’s installation folder and locate the Payday 2 .exe file. Right-click the file and choose Properties.
2. Then go to the Compatibility tab.
3. Check Run this program in compatibility mode and choose one of the older versions of Windows.
4. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
4. Move the render_settings file
- Press Windows key + R and type %appdata%. Click OK or press Enter.
2. Go to the AppData folder.
3. You should see three available folders. Go to the local folder.
4. Navigate to the PAYDAY 2 folder.
5. You could use the render_settings. Move it to your desktop.
6. Optional: Check the integrity of the game cache.
7. Try running Payday 2.
8. If the problem persists, restart your computer and try the game again.
Payday 2 crashes can occur if a specific file gets corrupted. And it is usually the specified file that is affected and the file that causes locking issues.
5. Disable mods
Disabling the modes can also help. Some mods can cause compatibility issues and cause the game to crash in certain ranges. For this reason, we recommend that you disable the changes individually until you find out what’s causing the problem.
This can be done by simply going to the game’s installation folder and opening the Mods folder. Once there, you can delete them all at once by simply deleting the entire folder or delete them individually and try Payday 2 again.
6. Enable the Use HQ Weapons option
The most common reason for sudden crashes reported recently on the official Steam forum seems to be related to the Use HQ weapons option in the game.
Fortunately, many users have solved the problem simply by enabling this option in the settings menu.
This seems to be a common problem – the game crashes or freezes as soon as this option is disabled and other players are using new devices.
Payday 2 not launching
1. Verify game cache
- Launch Steam.
- Go to your game library and find Payday 2.
- Right click on Payday 2 and choose Properties.
4. Go to the Local Files tab and click the Verify Game Cache Integrity button.
5. Wait for the process to complete and try running the game again.
To make sure the verification process is successful, it might be a good idea to delete some files from the Payday 2 installation folder before checking the game’s cache.
2. Change the resolution
- Open Run and repeat the first three steps in the fourth solution above to get to the local folder.
2. Here, find the Payday 2 folder and open it.
3. Next, locate the render_settings file and open it with Notepad.
4. When the render_settings file opens, look for the following line (it may look a little different on your computer):
resolution = ”1280 720
5. Change the value of the quotes to a different resolution. Do not remove the quotes, just change the value between them.
6. Save your changes and try running the game again.
7. If the problem persists, try changing the resolution value again. You may need to do this several times before you find the resolution that best suits your needs.
3. Delete IPHLPAPI.dll
If you are unable to launch Payday 2 on your computer, you may need to delete the IPHLPAPI.dll file. It should be somewhere in the Payday 2 installation folder.
Payday 2 black screen
1. Run Payday 2 in windowed mode
- Go to the AppData\Local folder and open the Payday 2 directory. (If you don’t know how to access the AppData folder, see the previous solutions.)
- Locate the render_settings file and open it with Notepad.
Find the following line:
windowed = “false”
- and change it to:
windowed = “true”
- Save your changes and try running the game again.
2. Reinstall the game
In the event that the game does not start or/and stops on a black screen, and after the validity check explained above, we recommend to cleanly reinstall Payday 2.
You can do this in the Steam client, but this procedure will most likely skip some remaining files and registry entries.
- Open the Steam client.
- Go to the library.
- Right click on Payday 2 and select Uninstall.
- Navigate to the installation folder and AppData folder and delete everything.
- Navigate to Registry Editor and type Payday 2 to find the related registry keys. Remove the.
You can completely remove files much faster and with less hassle with Revo Uninstaller, a special utility for removing all game related files.
This is also the safest way to know that reinstalling old and unnecessary files won’t disrupt new files.
Then restart your PC, open Steam again and find Payday 2 to reinstall it.
These are some of the most common Payday 2 issues that users have in Windows 10. All of them can be easily solved by following our solutions, so feel free to try them out.