If Games for Windows Live doesn’t work on your Windows 10 device, it’s always a good idea to uninstall and reinstall the program.
Find out more about this and some other solutions in the following article.
Having trouble with a particular game? Learn how to fix this on our Gaming Troubleshooting page.
Also bookmark our Windows 10 Hub, where you can find guides and recommendations on just about anything Windows 10 related.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:
This software fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware, hardware failure and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool which comes with patented technologies (patent available here).
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Fix All to fix issues affecting your computer’s security and performance
Restoro was downloaded by 1,021,310 readers this month.
Games for Windows Live is a popular gaming service for Windows, but some issues have been reported in Windows 10.
Namely, users report that games using Games for Windows Live do not work on Windows 10, and the list of games includes many popular games released a few years ago.
These games still have a huge fan base, so you can see why not being able to play on Windows 10 can be a problem for avid gamers.
So if you’re having trouble with Games for Windows Live on Windows 10, check out our solutions.
How do I fix Games For Windows Live issues on Windows 10?
1. Reinstall Games for Windows Live
- Remove Microsoft Games for Windows Live Redistributable and Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace from your computer. To do this, we recommend special software.
- Restart your computer after uninstalling these applications.
- Download the Games for Windows Live installer.
- Once you have downloaded the installer, right click on it and choose Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab and check Run this program in compatibility mode for… and choose Windows 7 or Windows 8 from the list.
- On the Compatibility tab, make sure to check Run as administrator.
- Save the changes by clicking Apply and OK and installing Games for Windows Live.
- Everything should now work and your profile should be downloaded again and ready to use.
As mentioned, we recommend using a tool to uninstall the program in the first place: Revo Uninstaller. This is just to make sure that the process is complete and leaves no trace on your system which could cause problems later on.
Revo goes beyond the classic uninstall process, it will also look for leftovers after the standard uninstall. It also has a forced uninstall option to remove the remnants of already uninstalled programs, if necessary.
Once installed, Revo is extremely intuitive to use: you can see all the applications installed on your PC in a single panel. From there, you can simply search for the program you want using the search bar at the top and choose to uninstall it.
2. Install Live Sign-in Assistant
If the above solution doesn’t work, try to download the latest Live Login Assistant from Microsoft’s official website. After downloading and installing the live login wizard, enter your login details and try to launch games.
3. Transfer all xlive files
- Go to the following location (if you are using 32-bit Windows, this location may be different):
- Find the files xlive, xlive.dll, xlive.dll.cat, xlivefnt.dll, xliveinstall.dll, xliveinstallhost.exe and copy them to
- Try running the game again
- If this doesn’t work, try copying those files to your game’s installation folder where the game’s .exe file is located.
That’s it, we hope this article helped you to solve the problem with Games for Windows Live on Windows 10. If you have any comments or questions, write them in the comments.