- If you are experiencing War Thunder crashes and other issues, you can find all causes and solutions below.
- The first thing to do if your War Thunder game keeps crashing is to update your drivers.
- You can get rid of War Thunder black screen errors by changing the video settings.
- Some players have also suggested checking their game files and adding boot options on Steam.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:
This software fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware, hardware failure and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool which comes with patented technologies (patent available here).
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Fix All to fix issues affecting your computer’s security and performance
Restoro was downloaded by 941,638 readers this month.
Certain games have issues with modern operating systems, such as Windows 10. If you are a fan of aerial warfare, you are probably familiar with a game called War Thunder.
Some fans of this game are having issues with War Thunder on Windows 10, so let’s see how to fix War Thunder issues without further delay.
War Thunder is a fairly popular multiplayer game, but it has certain issues. Talking about War Thunder and its issues, many users reported the following issues:
- War Thunder no sound –If you have no sound while playing War Thunder, please check if your game is up to date. In the worst case scenario, you may need to reinstall the game to fix the problem.
- War Thunder crashes –If the game regularly crashes on your PC, you may be able to fix the problem by simply changing the graphics quality or changing the display options.
- War Thunder crash on startup –Several users reported that War Thunder crashes on their PC right on startup. If this happens, check the integrity of the game cache.
- War Thunder crashes when connecting to server –This is another common issue with War Thunder. This problem could be due to your firewall or antivirus so make sure War Thunder is not on the block list.
- War Thunder freezing –If the game regularly crashes on your PC, the problem could be the resolution. However, you should be able to fix this problem with one of our solutions.
- War Thunder FPS drop, lag -FPS dropping and lag can be a big problem in a multiplayer game, but you should be able to fix the problem by changing the game’s config file.
- War Thunder black screen –This is another common issue with War Thunder. If you have this problem, try running the game in windowed mode and see if that helps.
How do I fix War Thunder problems On Windows 10?
1. Update your drivers
- Press Windows Key + S and type Device Manager.
2.Open Device Manager and expand the driver you want to update.
3.Right click on it and select Update driver.
4. Repeat for all drivers you want to update.
Update drivers automatically
Updating your drivers with Device Manager is a tedious task and the system database is not always up to date with the latest supported versions.
Fortunately, you can download a third-party application that will automatically scan your computer for the latest drivers and install them for you.
To make sure everything runs smoothly and avoid any kind of GPU driver errors, use a comprehensive driver update wizard that fixes your issues in just a few clicks, and we highly recommend DriverFix. Follow these simple steps to safely update your drivers:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The application will now show you all drivers that have problems, and you just need to select the drivers that you want to fix.
- Wait for the application to download and install the latest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
2. Fix War Thunder connection problems
Sometimes War Thunder connection problems can be caused by your antivirus or firewall software.
To avoid connection problems, make sure your antivirus or firewall software is not blocking War Thunder.
If the security software does not block the game, you may need to temporarily disable your antivirus or firewall while playing War Thunder.
Also make sure that no unnecessary applications are running in the background.
Sometimes you need to uninstall your antivirus program to fix this problem. If removing your antivirus solves the problem, consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
There’s a lot of great antivirus software on the market right now, so we highly recommend reading this entire list of the best options for avid gamers.
⇒ Get BitDefender
2. Fix War Thunder crashes
If your War Thunder keeps crashing, there are many reasons that can cause it. Make sure to follow our solutions below to solve them quickly.
Most of these may have to do with game compatibility and initial settings, or with OpenGL, a rendering optimization option.
2.1. Change render option to OpenGL
Users have reported frequent crashes when launching War Thunder. According to them, the crash occurs just seconds after logging in. This makes the game unplayable, but a workaround is available.
Changing the display option from Auto to OpenGL has been reported to fix the bugs in War Thunder on Windows 10. At the same time, some users report that using OpenGL gives them better performance.
If you run into problems, make sure to set the display mode to OpenGL from the boot options.
2.2. Start the game directly
An easy solution to War Thunder crashes is to launch the game directly from the installation folder. To do this, navigate to the game’s installation folder and run aces.exe.
As you can see, this is a pretty simple solution, but it may work for you, so feel free to try it.
2.3. Delete cache and compiledShaders folders
- Go to the Steam installation folder.
- Go to steamapps > common > warthunder folder.
- After opening the Warthunder folder, clear the cache and compiledShaders.
- Launch Steam.
- When Steam opens, navigate to your library.
- Find War Thunder and right click on it.
- Choose Properties from the menu.
10.Be patient and wait for the process to complete.
If you are experiencing War Thunder crashes and are using the Steam version of the game, you can try verifying the integrity of your game files.
2.4. Set render to DirectX 9 and turn on Vsync
Users have reported War Thunder crashes when launching the game, and it seems that these crashes are caused by the display options.
If War Thunder crashes on your Windows 10 computer, you may want to configure DirectX 9 rendering through the boot options.
Users have also reported that enabling Vsync resolves crashing issues.
2.5. Remove DisplayLink driver
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to System and then navigate to the Applications section.
3. Find the DisplayLink software in the list and click Uninstall.
It has been reported that the DisplayLink driver can sometimes cause War Thunder crashes in Windows 10.
If so, you will need to uninstall the DisplayLink driver from your computer by following these steps:
Note that sometimes you need to delete all files associated with DisplayLink software to resolve this issue.
This can be a complicated process if you do it manually, but there is an easy way to completely uninstall an app using third party apps.
⇒ Download the IObit Uninstaller
- Launch War Thunder through Steam.
- The game launcher itself will open.
- Click the gear icon in the top right corner.
4 .You will see an option that says Full Screen, which you should change to Window.
If you are experiencing War Thunder crashes, it is recommended that you switch from full screen mode to windowed mode. Just make sure to set the game resolution to match your desktop resolution.
3. Fix War Thunder freeze
3.1. Change game resolution
War Thunder crashes can be due to graphics settings, so it is recommended to reduce them. If you are using HD resolution, we recommend that you do not switch to a lower resolution and play the game in window mode.
3.2. Run the game in Compatibility mode
- Go to the game’s installation folder.
- Locate aces.exe and right click on it.
- Choose Properties from the menu.
4.Go to the Compatibility tab.
5. Check Run this program in compatibility mode and choose one of the older versions of Windows.
6. Some users suggest Windows XP Service Pack 2, but you can experiment with other versions as well.
7. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
If War Thunder crashes on your computer, try starting the game in compatibility mode.
3.3. Perform a file check
To fix War Thunder crashes, some users recommend running a full file check. To do that, all you need to do is hit the gear button next to the graphics settings and click the Check Files button.
This process may take some time, so we recommend that you be patient.
4. Fix War Thunder fps drop
4.1. Edit config.blk file
- Go to the installation folder of the game.
By default it should be below:
C: SteamsteamappscommonWar Thunder program files
- Locate the config.blk file and open it with Notepad.
- Find the following lines and change them to:
disable FlipEx: b = no
controller: t = “dx11”
d3d9ex: b = no
- Save your changes and right click on config.blk and then select Properties.
- Go to the General tab and make sure you check the Read-only option.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- The game begins. If you get a message that you can’t save your settings, click Yes.
If you’re getting poor performance and the fps drops in War Thunder, you may want to change some of the hidden settings in the game.
Users have reported that this fix fixes War Thunder’s fps drop and performance issues, but there is also a downside.
This solution does not allow you to change your configuration and you have to change it manually from the config.blk file.
4.2. Use Command Prompt
- Make sure your game is closed.
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
3.When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following and press Enter to run it:
bcdedit / deletevalue useplatformclock
4. Restart your computer and try running the game again.
Dropping fps can make War Thunder almost impossible to play, and if you have fps issues with War Thunder, you can try using command prompt to fix it.
4.3. Set your power plan to High Performance
- Press Windows key + S and type.
- Select Choose a power plan from the menu.
3. When the Power Options window opens, make sure to select High Performance from the list of results.
If you’re playing War Thunder on a laptop, you may have noticed a drop in fps when your charger isn’t plugged in.
This is perfectly normal, but if you want to play War Thunder without any fps drops on your laptop, you’ll need to change your power plan.
Keep in mind that setting your power plan to High Performance will drain your laptop’s battery faster, so keep that in mind.
5. Fix War Thunder black screen
If you are having black screen issues with War Thunder, we recommend that you enable Vsync and use DirectX 9 rendering. Users have also reported getting a black screen while using OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).
If you are having black screen issues, you can try playing the game in windowed mode as your current resolution scale may interfere with the game.
This is usually easy to fix as it could be a glitch in the game. Therefore, you should also restart the game if this happens.
These are some common War Thunder issues that users have reported, and if you’re experiencing any of them, try some of our solutions. Be sure to give us your thoughts on this in the comments section below.