- Factorio’s server is unresponsive and prevents you from experiencing online multiplayer.
- Check your network settings for port forwarding and make sure it is configured correctly.
- Try disabling the firewall or let the application solve this problem through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Scroll through the article below for more troubleshooting steps to resolve Factorio unable to connect to server error.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool which comes with patented technologies (patent available here).
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Fix All to fix issues affecting your computer’s security and performance
Restoro was downloaded by 913,183 readers this month.
Factorio is rated as a survival game by some players and it is one of the best survival games on Steam. However, several users have reported that the Factorio server is not responding when they try to join a multiplayer game.
In this article, we have listed some troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the issue and connect to the server successfully.
How can I fix the Factorio server not responding error?
1. Allow Factorio through Firewall
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK to open the Control Panel.
- Click System Security.
- Then click on Windows Defender Firewall.
5. In the left pane, click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
6. Click the Change Settings button. Click Yes if prompted by UAC.
7. Scroll through the apps and search for Factorio.
8. Make sure the Private and Public boxes are checked.
9. Click OK to save the changes and exit the Control Panel.
Restart Factorio and check if Factorio still cannot connect to the server. If you have a third-party antivirus with a firewall, make sure the app doesn’t block games either.
Play via Steam
If you or your friend are having trouble joining the Factorio server, ask them to do it through Steam. Several users have reported that when they play through Steam they don’t get the error or server issues.
2. Check if you have configured port forwarding
- Go to your local connection settings and note the local IPv4 address. It should look something like this:
- Then open your internet browser and enter your local IPv4 DNS address.
- Enter your username and password. The username is admin and the password is admin/password by default for most routers. You can also refer to your router’s manual to see your login details.
- Open Port Forwarding on your router’s configuration page.
- Enter 34197 in the Service Port field.
6. Also re-enter 34197 in the Internal Port field.
7.Paste your local IPv4 address into the IP address field.
8. Click Apply / OK to save the changes.
9. Open Google and search for My IP to get your IP address.
Send both your IP address and port forwarding code 34197 to your friend.
Try to connect to the game server and check if Factorio cannot determine the connection error.
3. Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Click Start and choose Settings.
- Go to Update and security.
- Click Windows Security.
4. Then choose Windows Firewall.
5. Choose your current active profile.
6. Scroll down and toggle the switch to disable the firewall.
If you have a third-party antivirus program that has a firewall installed, disable it as well. Disabling the firewall doesn’t seem to have solved Factorio’s lag and LAN issues.
Make sure to temporarily disable the security program and try to connect to the server to see if the error is resolved.
4. Run the network troubleshooter
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Go to Update and security.
- Open the Troubleshoot tab in the left pane and select Additional troubleshooters.
4. Scroll down and click Internet Connections.
5. Click the Run Troubleshooter button.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen. You may need to choose your internet adapter to continue.
7. Once it’s done, scroll down in the Troubleshoot window and click Network Adapter.
8. Click the Run Troubleshooter button and follow the on-screen instructions.
If the error persists, check your Wi-Fi hardware. If you are using external WiFi hardware, check the WiFi receiver for problems. Disconnect the card and restart your computer.
After the reboot, reconnect the card and make sure it is detected. Connect your WiFi network and check if Factorio failed to establish network communication with the server error resolved.
5. Switch to GTX Gaming server hosting
If you have a game server, we recommend switching to GTX Gaming server hosting. Hosting this game server might be a better option if none of the mentioned solutions don’t work.
Using the Factorio server hosting is very easy. User-friendly configuration files and external backup systems, your server is set up immediately. If you get stuck, you have 24-hour support that can help you right away.
Your server may still be installing while you are logging in. This means that your server will be updated to the latest version of Factorio via a Steam update. You should refresh your browser after two minutes and your server is ready to use and you can configure it with your own administrator title and password.
⇒ Get GTX Gaming
Factorio server not responding error can occur due to various reasons and we hope our guide helped you to solve this problem.
Did we miss a particular solution? Let us know in the comments below.